Camfield Station -
Camfield Station, which runs 32,000 head of cattle, is a breeding and backgrounding property which operates as a growing out base for the live export of Brahman weaners from Delamere and Montejinni.
Camfield alternates between northern live export opportunities and Queensland markets via the Barkly Group. As a major supplier to south-east Asia, Brahman cattle from the Victoria River Group are well-sought after for live export.
Infrastructure, Terrain and Natural Resources
The infrastructure on the station includes 22 paddocks (averaging an area of 124km2), seven holding paddocks, and three sets of steel yards.
Approximately 43 per cent of Camfield is within 4km of permanent water. The water infrastructure on the property is comprised of 37 watering points, 30 bores, three tanks and 18km of pipeline. The property has 516km of internal roads, three Australian Government stock routes and 68km of bitumen (Buntine Highway).
Camfield is largely comprised of black soil plains which support Bluegrass, Mitchell Grass and Flinders Grass pastures. There are numerous creeks and watercourses throughout the property, including the Camfield River, as well as three permanent waterholes. Natural surface waters are supported by ground water supplies, and the water quality of all bores is very good.
Camfield was originally an outstation of Victoria River Downs Station, first taken up by Fisher and Lyon in the 1870s. After being won in a ballot by Paul Vanderleer in 1952, the property changed hands several times before it was purchased along with Delamere and Montejinni by Desa Cattle Company and later Tejas Land and Cattle Company of America. AACo purchased all three properties in December 2004.