Brunette Downs -
Brunette Downs is a prominent breeding and backgrounding
property which runs 110,000 head of commercial cattle and a
1,500 head bull breeding herd.
The majority of the home bred composite steers are backgrounded on Brunette Downs and are either destined for live export or finished as grass fed bullocks on the vast lake systems of Brunette. These lake systems produce excellent weight gains. Externally purchased Brahman cattle are sold through Darwin as live export.
Infrastructure, Terrain and Natural Resources
The Brunette Downs infrastructure includes 53 paddocks (averaging 336km2), 19 holding paddocks and 16 permanent steel yards.
Approximately 45 per cent of Brunette Downs is within 3km of permanent water, with water infrastructure comprising 163 bores, 209 nests, 260km of pipeline, nine windmills, five bores-nests shared with Rockhampton Downs and nine dams. The property includes 658km of internal roads, 57km of the Rankin Stock Route and 100km of bitumen (Tablelands Highway).
Brunette Downs is comprised of mostly open downs with small areas of timbered country. The pasture system is dominated by Mitchell grass downs country, and there are three inland lakes systems. This Brunette Lakes system is made up of Lake Sylvester, Corella and de Burgh - which cover 20 per cent of the property and provide valuable growing and fattening country.
The property has existed as a pastoral lease since 1883, when Harry Redford drove the first cattle to Brunette Downs. In 1904, the property was purchased by JC and FC White. The homestead, which is the oldest surviving building on the tablelands still currently in use, was built in 1916. AACo purchased the property from King Ranch in 1979.